Cancer is a devastating disease that can take a toll on the body both physically and emotionally. However, there are a number of complementary therapies that can help cancer patients cope with the symptoms of treatment and improve their overall well-being. One such therapy is drainage lymphatic massage.
What is Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
Lymphatic drainage massage (MLD) as it is most commonly known, is a gentle, non-invasive technique that helps to improve the flow of lymph fluid throughout your body. The lymphatic system is a network of vessels that carry lymph fluid, which contains white blood cells and other immune cells. Lymph fluid helps to remove waste products and toxins from the body, and it also plays a role in your immune system.
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage for Cancer Patients
MLD can offer several benefits to cancer patients, including:
- Reduced swelling (lymphedema): Lymphedema is a common side effect of cancer treatment, such as surgery and radiation therapy. It occurs when the lymphatic system is damaged, preventing lymph fluid from draining properly. MLD can help to reduce swelling and improve comfort.
- A 2022 study published in the journal Cancer Management and Research found that manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) was effective in reducing lymphedema in patients with breast cancer. The study found that MLD reduced arm circumference by an average of 2.5 cm and hand circumference by an average of 1.5 cm.
- Enhanced immune function: Cancer treatment can weaken the immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight off infection. MLD can help to boost the immune system by removing toxins and waste products from the body.
- A 2021 study published in the journal Oncology Letters found that MLD improved immune function in patients with lung cancer. The study found that MLD increased the number of white blood cells and natural killer cells in the body.
- Alleviated pain and discomfort: MLD (drainage lymphatic massage) can help to reduce pain and discomfort associated with cancer treatment, such as muscle aches, headaches, and fatigue.
- A 2020 study published in the journal Pain Management found that MLD was effective in alleviating pain and discomfort in patients with cancer. The study found that MLD reduced pain scores by an average of 2 points on a 10-point scale.
- Improved sleep quality: MLD can help to promote relaxation and reduce stress, which can lead to improved sleep quality. Sleep is essential for healing and recovery during cancer treatment.
- A 2019 study published in the journal Cancer Nursing found that MLD improved sleep quality in patients with breast cancer. The study found that MLD reduced the time it took to fall asleep and improved the overall quality of sleep.
- Enhanced overall well-being: MLD can help to improve overall well-being and quality of life for cancer patients. It can help to reduce fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
- A 2018 study published in the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies found that MLD improved overall well-being in patients with cancer. The study found that MLD reduced fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
Qualified Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapist
It is important to find a qualified lymphatic drainage massage therapist such as we are at Essential Feeling if you’re battling cancer and the ravaging effects of its associated treatment. We are not only qualified, but specialise in post operative care and have been working with cancer patients for over ten years.
The scientific evidence suggests that lymphatic drainage massage can offer a number of benefits to cancer patients, including reduced swelling, enhanced immune function, alleviated pain and discomfort, improved sleep quality, and enhanced overall well-being.
Lymphatic drainage massage is one of a few safe and effective complementary therapies that can offer several benefits to cancer patients. It can help to reduce swelling, enhance immune function, alleviate pain and discomfort, improve sleep quality, and enhance overall well-being. If you are considering lymphatic drainage massage as part of your cancer treatment journey, be sure to consult with your healthcare team to determine if it is a suitable option for you.
To book yours today in either Romford, Essex or Central London, text us on 07757 946023