Our MLD treatment (manual lymphatic drainage) is designed specifically to reduce fluid in your body; oedema treatment. This disease can happen for a multiple underlying reasons, and results in swelling throughout your body or in a localised area such as arms and legs. Often, there’s no apparent reason.
We often call this water retention, but officially it’s known as oedema or edema.
We use MLD and/ or radiofrequency to help remove swelling.
Some common causes of oedema.
Surgery — because of the body needing to heal post surgery. This can be cosmetic surgery or for e.g. cancer which can cause long term swelling if not dealt with.
Excess Standing creates hydrostatic pressure which is the fluid build up condition called lymphoedema. This works in the same way as excess weight which makes it difficult for venous and lymphatic capillary to push fluid through. Self care is important for overall health in combination with types of frequently prescribed medications and blood tests.
Venous insufficiency — usually affects feet and ankles. Veins struggle to get enough blood to the feet and back to the heart. This means we expel fluid from the blood vessels into the surrounding tissue. Varicose veins can also cause oedema.
Congestive heart failure — peripheral and abdominal oedema (ascites). The heart is too weak to pump blood through your body properly, so blood accumulates in front of the heart. Because of this, and because of increased blood pressure in the veins, fluid leaks into the surrounding tissues. This can cause swelling of the arm or legs or fluid buildup in the abdomen. If you lie down a lot, swelling may appear on the back (sacral oedema).
When congestive heart failure occurs, it can also cause pulmonary oedema. This is not common, but the condition of leak syndrome is life-threatening. This means that the lungs fill with fluid because the left side of the heart is not strong enough to pump blood returning from the lungs. Blood collects in the blood vessels of the lungs and fluid leaks into the lung tissue. Signs include shortness of breath and rapid, shallow coughing or breathing.
Kidney disease — legs and around the eyes. Kidneys do not remove enough sodium (salt) and water from the body, pressure builds in the blood vessels. This can lead to edema.
Low levels of protein in the blood: If the protein albumin is lacking in the blood, fluid can leak more easily from the blood vessels. Extreme nutritional deficiencies and kidney and liver can cause low levels of protein in the blood disease, which cause the body to lose too much protein or produce too little protein.
Liver disease: Scarring of liver tissue (cirrhosis), for example due to long-term alcohol abuse or inflammation of the liver, can cause abdominal oedema (ascites) to worsen. This is because cirrhosis causes a lack of protein and congestion in the liver, which can lead to increased pressure in the blood vessels. As a result, fluid leaks into the abdomen. Serious lung diseases, such as emphysema, can also lead to swollen legs and feet when pressure in the lungs and heart increases a lot.
Allergic reactions — swelling is commonly implicated when you have an allergic reaction. This can be chronic or acute as it would be if you got an infection. This is your body’s way of dealing with the issue, so it sends blood to the area to heal, and then the swelling you see is the waste that needs to get away and out of your system. MLD can be great for your protected health and recovery.
So now we understand this, what is Oedema treatment?
We use a light pressure to pump lymphatic fluid around your body so it doesn’t become congested in one area. This professional healthcare is an addon to traditional medicine. But the reactions of our clients is that they are astounded by just how much one hour can ease their pain and discomfort. The light action seems to not be doing anything, but really it’s working deep into the interstitial tissues. This allows you to naturally drain lymph fluids out as your body would do naturally if it were 100% healthy.
- Always look at why you are suffering with your issue. For instance, if it’s because of Kidney disease, then limiting the amount of salt you intake will help the effects, therefore improving the longer terms benefits of your oedema treatment.
- Exercise. We don’t mean that you have to join the gym and start hardcore bodybuilding or running a marathon. But do move. One of the two ways that your lymphatic system works is through movement, so the more you move, the more support you’re giving your system to flush out the waste fluids that are sitting and presenting as uncomfortable swelling.
- Drink water. We know, everyone ALWAYS tells you to drink water. But there’s a reason for it. Your entire lymph flows from movement and water, so the more water you drink, the more pressure there is behind the waste that needs to flush through. Think of it as a slow running stream or fast-running river.
- Reduce caffeine intake for at least a few days after treatment. This is because caffeine increases the speed at which fluid travels through your system. This means that it doesn’t give your body time to attach all the waste to it that it needs to expel before it’s passed through and out. Therefore, resulting in swelling.
- Loosen tight clothing to promote lymph flow, have you ever found you swell when your socks are too tight?
- Avoid hot baths, saunas, etc. for at least a few hours. Think about it, you’re sweating out fluid that you need to use to remove toxins.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours. Have you ever noticed when you drink alcohol that your leg will swell?
- Try to reduce tobacco use (if you smoke)
- Finally, but not unimportantly, please do take time to relax and rest. For sure we’ve talked about movement and how this helps your system, but we simulate this during your MLD treatment. And so, give your lymphatic system a few hours at least after oedema treatment, to do it’s job without overloading your body with exercise and stress. If you use all the energy up that your system needs to use to get rid of waste then your MLD treatment won’t be as effective. After the few hours are up, it’s game on though. This will allow blood pressure to return to normal if you have dropped during a treatment.. For the same reasons, diet is important; a light diet of raw food is recommended so that the body does not have to focus on slow digestion.
Specialist medical practitioners, including leading consultant surgeons in the UK refer their patients to us for aftercare. We work closely with them, so they will advise on the details such as whether you should wear compression stockings for instance or inhibitors, tablets and blockers. We’re specialists in aftercare, they’re specialists in the medicinal treatment side of things. Our treatment plans are often produced in consultation with your doctor.
How will I feel after my oedema treatment?
Our clients have frequently reported that the oedema treatment is helpful in allowing them to feel more mobile, lighter and like they’re losing size. This is good, because you actually are. But, with that comes a few side effects which you may experience such as:
- Frequent visits to the bathroom – you need to get this liquid out somehow, right!
- Runny nose and/or cough, mild rash when the skin is rebalanced
- Sweating: an extra process of excretion
- Suppressed conditions may temporarily break out before they heal
- Deep sleep or difficulty sleeping and vivid dreams
These reactions are only temporary and should disappear within 24-48 hours. to treatment and it is rebalancing. There’s no risk associated and there is no issue if you don’t experience any side effects other than the health benefits you have come for.
How to tell whether you’re developing oedema without visiting professionals
A few points to look out for, but don’t panic if you think you have it, these symptoms can be many things, some serious, others not. So, we always advise that you see a professional if you’re worried at all.
- PItting when you press an area, does it take a while to pop back up? These dents may also coincide with changes to your skin colour, discomfort and stiffness which is caused because you can’t move due to the swelling stopping your movement rather than muscles being tight.
- Feeling full, like your skin is being stretched like a balloon? Often this puffy ankles and feet will also manifest win shiny or stretched skin.