Deep oscillation therapy (also known under the patented names DEEP OSCILLATION® or HIVAMAT® as was the older technology) is a unique, internationally patented, non-invasive, non-traumatic method of therapy that is a completely different method of treatment than therapies such as ultrasound or shock wave.
It’s gentle, relaxing and therapeutic. What’s brilliant about deep oscillation is that it can be used for remedial work such as encouraging healing; but it’s cosmetic results such as brightening skin and removing toxins to give a tighter and brighter appearance are also fabulous. It’s the perfect treatment for looking and feeling radiant.
Its special structure allows the doctor or therapist to generate pleasant and biologically effective vibrations in the treated tissue through electrostatic attraction and friction without using external mechanical forces. This facilitates the effective application of the massage from your practitioner to you as the patient.
The gentle nature of deep vibration makes it ideal for reducing pain immediately after injury, where normal massage would be contraindicated. This efficient adjuvant treatment is also helpful in the early postoperative stage as it promotes dynamic wound healing with less resulting scar tissue and a faster return to normal activity.
It’s also the perfect way to get rid of dull looking skin and black circles under your eyes as it stimulates your lymphatic system. This allows your body to drain away these toxins giving you tighter, more vibrant and younger looking skin/ appearance.
Deep oscillation can complement and intensify all forms of clinical manual lymphatic drainage and manual therapy. The benefit of this is that your blood and we improve lymph delivery around your body, typically meaning that more of the ‘good stuff’ gets where it needs to go.
Unlike other vibration therapies that only work on one element, the surface of the skin, these pleasant vibrations have a clinically proven deep acting effect (8 cm) on all tissue components (skin, connective tissue, subcutaneous fat, muscles, blood and lymphatic vessels) as shown in the figure below.
Deep oscillation penetrates 8 cm deep (Tápanez Hernandez, 2010)
Deep oscillation provides patients with symptomatic relief from conservative management, before and after liposuction of lymphedema and lipedema, as well as in plastic and general surgery.
Intermittent two-phase pulses are delivered directly to the patient’s layers of tissue, either through a vinyl-coated hand applicator (which also allows for self-treatment) or the doctor’s hands gloved with vinyl gloves.
Therapy carries the certification and classification of medical devices, European and international patents  Sterile application of biologically effective DEEP OSCILLATION® Practitioner for patients through vinyl gloves for direct work (vinyl is also the medium in which therapy can flow) Patient self-treatment in different sizes Specialized applicator head (1.5 cm, 5 cm, 9.5 cm) applied from doctor to patient through one applicator to another through a special film (via an applicator or gloves) for sterile treatment in wound care, from doctors to patients in the UK and worldwide.
Deep Oscillation is NHS Approved
Since 2006, the deep swing has become increasingly popular in the UK and Ireland. PhysioPod UK Limited (NHS approved providers) and particularly as part of our NHS lymphedema (lymphoedema) services and private DLT MLD lymphedema professionals. It is also helpful for the management of lipoedema.
Other countries that benefit from its many advantages include Germany, Cuba, the USA and Canada. Mexico, Costa Rica and Poland. In Costa Rica and Mexico, it is becoming the gold standard instance for oncology post-mastectomy cancer treatment (including to reduce and prevent edema).
10 Key Benefits of Pleasant Deep Oscillation in Conservative and Surgical Treatment of Lymphedema and Lipedema
- Rapid treatment without surgery, syringe or medication
- Extremely gentle and well tolerated, applicable immediately after injury or from an early postoperative stage
- Pain and swelling (oedema) and bruising are reduced, improvement of tissue quality (including burns wound healing), improvement of mobility and quality of life of patients
- No known side effects whilst delivering radiant skin
- Proven therapy used for over 30 years and used worldwide
- Self-treatment at home is an option (ideal in today’s climate – April 2020)
- Effective conservative treatment of fibrosis caused by lymphedema or later stage lipedema
- Reducing fibrosis before liposuction gives better results, fibrotic tissue breaks down, fat is removed more easily and we injure tissues less, which facilitates the procedure, reduces bleeding with fewer complications, improves recovery and speeds up therapy does not
- Early thermal, can be applied through implanted nails and plates, breast implants and prostheses
- Clinically proven effects even for cosmetic such as helping with premature ageing
- Pain relief effects in conditions of acute traumatic and chronic pain even for sports injuries and damage from overstraining [3-14] e.g. acute lateral ankle sprains medicine
- Prevention and reduction of secondary and primary lymphedema and reduction of edema in lipedema [3, 5, 7, 15-18] can help improve your body’s response to surgery if used pre and post procedure
- Prevention of remodeling processes, reduction of fibrosis [3, 9, 15, 16, 19].
- Anti-inflammatory effect [14, 20] great for treatment of sports injury or post-operative vaser liposuction and healing scar tissue and surgical wounds
- Muscle relaxation, mobilisation, functional improvement and improved range of motion (ROM) [5, 8, 19, 21-23]
- Support wound healing processes and rehabilitation [24-26] and we do not limit the frequency with which we can use this
- Normalise hemodynamic parameters of the skin, correct aesthetic-neurotic problems and influence biological aging through effect preventive on premature aging 
- Accelerated recovery after intense physical training [28-30]
- Decongestion and functional improvement in obstructive pulmonary disease [31, 32]
- Significantly improved volume and movement reduction (ROM) by combining MLD with DOT versus MLD alone [3.17, [33.34]
Contraindications Acute infections Acute systemic local inflammation with pat germs
Active tuberculosis Acute venous disease (untreated thrombosis) Untreated tuberculosis Erysipelas or cellulitis Patients with pacemakers or other electronic implants Untreated heart disease and problems Pregnancy hypersensitivity to electrostatic fields Infectious diseases Vertebrobasilar insufficiency (IVB)
Note: for best results for the wear creams, lotions or makeup for sessions as these create a barrier and weaken the effect of the sessions.
2. EUROPEAN PATENT DOCUMENT: Patented to: Physiomed Elektromedizin AG 91220 Schnaittach/Laipersdorf (DE) – EP 1530 982 Bl
5. Jahr S., Schoppe B., Reisshauer A. (2008): Effect of treatment with low-intensity and extremely low-frequency electrostatic fields (deep oscillation) on breast tissue and pain in patients with secondary breast lymphoedema. J Rehabil Med 40 (8), 645-50.
6. Aliyev R. (2009): Clinical efficacy of the therapy procedure. Deep oscillation in sports injuries. Sportverl sports damage 23, 1-4. English title: Clinical effects of the therapy deep oscillation in the treatment of sports injuries.
7. Fistetto G., Iannitti T., Capone S., Torricelli F., Palmieri B. (2011): Deep Oscillation®: esperienze terapeutico-riabilitative con un nuovo innovative strumento ad azione elettrostatica. Minerva Med 102 (4), 277-88.
8. Hernández Tápanes, S., Terapia con oscilaciones profundas. Experiencias en cervicalgias, lumbalgias y epicondilitis., ed. EdiReh-Latina. 2012, San José.
9. Hernández Tápanes S., Socas Fernández M., Iturralde Y., Addiel Suáres Fernández A. (2018): The Effect of Deep Oscillation Therapy in Fibrocystic Breast Disease. A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. International Archives of Medicine Vol. 14. doi: 10.3
10. Kraft K., Kanter S., Janik, H. (2013): Safety and effectiveness of vibration massage by deep oscillation: a prospective observational study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med.; 2013: 679248. doi: 10.1155 / 2013/679248. Epub 2013 Oct 3.
11. Reinhold J., Deeva I., Korkina L., Schaper K., Krummenauer F. (2014): Randomized pilot study to quantify the patient-side benefit of influencing primary wound healing processes by deep oscillation. Z Orthop accident 152 (3), 260-264. English title: Randomized Pilot Study for Quantification of Benefit from the Patient’s Point of View of Deep Oscillation Treatment in Primary Wound Healing.
12. O’Brien CP, Watson A. (2016): Deep Oscillation Therapy in the Treatment of Lateral Epicondylalgia: A Pilot Randomized Control Trial. J Sports Med Doping Stud 6 (3), http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-0673.1000180.
13. Zehtindjieva MG, Ioshinov BR, Andonov DR, Ilkov VS, Bayraktarova A. (2013): Deep Oscillation – A Modern Additional Physical Modality For Analgesia In Patients With Back Pain. PRAEMEDICUS 29, 85-90.
14. Boisnic S., Branchet MC (2013): Anti-inflammatory and draining effect of the deep oscillation (R) device tested clinically and on a model of human skin maintained in a survival condition. Eur J Dermatol 23 (1), 59-63.
15. Korkina L., Reinhold J., Rota L., Primavera G., Raskovic D. (2007): Treatment of Gynoid Lipodystrophy (Cellulite) with Deep Oscillation®: A Pilot Clinical Study. 29th Annual Meeting of The Bioelectromagnetics Society. Kanazawa, 2.
16. Gasbarro V., Bartoletti R., Tsolaki E., Sileno S., Agnati M., Coen M., Conti M., Bertaccini C. (2006): Ruolo dell’oscillazione profonda (Hivamat® 200) nel trattamento fisico del linfedema degli arti. La medicina estetica 30 (4), 473-478. English title: The role of deep oscillation therapy (Hivamat® 200) in the physical treatment of the lymphoedema of the limbs.
19. Gao Y.-C., Peng C. C, Peng RY (2015): A long term chronic fibrotic adhesion of elbow muscles alleviated by applying hivamate 200 deep oscillation therapy. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development 2 (1), 286-289.
20. Mikhalchik E., Titkova S., Anurov M., Suprun M., Ivanova A., Trakhtman I., Reinhold J. (2005): Effects on blood parameters of deep oscillation. 1st International Conference on Skin and Environment. Moscow-St. Petersburg, 59.
22. Hinman MR, Lundy R., Perry E., Robbins K., Quarter L. (2013): Comparative Effect of Ultrasound and DEEP OSCILLATION® on the Extensibility of Hamstring Muscles. Journal of Athletics Medicine 1 (1), 45-55.
23. Winkelmann Z.K., Roberts E.J., Games K.E. (2018): Acute Effects and Perceptions of Deep Oscillation Therapy for Improving Hamstring Flexibility.Journal of sport rehabilitation 2018 Jun 25:1-7. doi: 10.1123/jsr.2017-0044.
24. Hernández Tápanes S. et al (2009): Value of deep oscillation therapy in the healing of AB burns, Cuban Journal of Physical Medicine &Rehabilitation RNPS 2244- FOLIO 148- ISSN 2078-7162 Rev Cub MFR v.2 n.1 City of La Havana Jan-June 2010.
25. Mikhalchik E., Titkova S., Anurov M., Suprun M., Ivanova A., Trakhtman I., Reinhold J. (2005): Wound Healing Effects of Deep Oscillation. 1st International Conference on Skin and Environment. Moscow-St. Petersburg, 71.
27. Turova, E.A., Konchugova, T. V., Balaban, E. I., Fadeeva, N. I., Golovach, A. V., Teniaeva, E. A., (2012): The application of a pulsed low-frequency electrostatic field for the prevention of premature ageing. Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult, 2012(6): p. 9-11.
28. von Stengel S., Teschler M., Weissenfels A., Willert S., Kemmler W. (2018): Effect of Deep Oscillation as a Recovery Method after Fatiguing Soccer Training: A Randomized Cross-Over Study, Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness, doi:10.1016/j.jesf.2018.10.004.
29. Trybulski, R., Zebrowska, A., Marcol, W., Roczniok, R., Kepa, K., Kiljanski, M., Application of Deep Oscillation and Electric Stimulation in Smooth Muscles to Minimize the Selected Parameters of Muscular fatigue. fizjoterapia polska, 2016. 2(16): p. 14-30
31. Yashkov AV, Gazdieva EM, Badyanova IS (2007): Efficacy of intermittent low-frequency electrostatic field in the sanatorium-based complex treatment of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Kurortniye Vedmosti 3 (42), 62-63.
32. Verster, J., Deep Oscillation Case Study. Pneumonia: total consolidation in right upper lope. 2014, J Verster Physiotherapist, Ninapark, South Africa.
33. Kashilska Y., Petkov A., P. Micheva, Batashki A., Batashk Z. (2015): Improving the quality of life through effects of treatment with low-intensity extremely low-frequency electrostatic field with DEEP OSCILLATION® in patients breast cancer with secondary limb to patients treated with standard lymphatic equipment. Medicine V (1), 381-387.
- Plastic Surgery Recovery Handbook Paperback (Author) Kathleen Helen Lisson CLT – July 7, 2019
- Lipedema Treatment Guide: A Certified Lymphedema Therapist’s advice for her clients with lipedema. (Author) Kathleen Helen Lisson CLT | Jul 17, 2018
- Lipoedema UK Publication – Practical Guidance for Patients Considering Liposuction as an Option for Managing Lipoedema 2018
- Wounds International: Use of the HIVAMAT® 200 with manual lymphatic drainage in the management of lower-limb lymphoedema and lipoedema Date: 21 March 2018 Author(s): Isabel Teo, Anna Coulborn, DA Munnoch
- Practice Nursing, July 2017 “Lipoedema complicated by secondary lymphoedema” Dr Anne Williams, Isobel MacEwan Practice Nursing | Vol 28 | No 7 | July 2017 | pp 284–289
- Wounds UK. Best Practice Guidelines: The Management of Lipoedema. London: Wounds UK, 2017
- Best practice guidelines for the management of lipoedema D Hardy, A Williams – British journal of community nursing, 2017
- Nourollahi S., Mondry TE, Fall KL (2013): Bucher’s Broom and Selenium Improve Lipedema: A Retrospective Case Study. Aging Integ Med 2 (4), 119.